- As of May 11 you can exercise in parks and reserves within 30km of your residence (see the rules below)
- Same applies to Wellington Park, but Pinnacle Rd is still closed
- Same applies to Forestry land, including Sand River, but the 30km rule also applies. "As of Monday 11 May, Permanent Timber Production Zone land managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania can be used for exercise activities by Tasmanian residents. Residents should only use public production forest within 30 kilometres of their place of residence."
- Social distancing rules apply everywhere
In March, a tough decision was made to close all PWS national parks and reserves across Tasmania to limit non-essential travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. We understand this has been difficult for our nature-loving community who enjoy a wide variety of recreational uses, including bushwalking, running and swimming in the natural spaces around us.
With strict physical distancing and group gathering restrictions now embedded in our daily lives, limited access to Tasmania’s national parks and reserves will be permitted from Monday 11 May, for the purpose of local exercise only.
So, what does this all mean?
• You may exercise at your local national park or reserve. You can either walk, cycle or run to your nearest park or reserve, and if this is not possible, drive to one within 30 kilometres of your place of residence
• You must return home after you have completed your exercise and only day use is permitted.
• Gathering for picnics or other recreational activities remains prohibited.
• If carparks are full, please move on and return at another time.
• Surfing and swimming are allowed.
• Physical distancing of at least 1.5 metres between each other must be adhered to and groups are limited to two people, except for household members. Visitor centres and campgrounds remain closed until further notice.
For more information visit our website at www.parks.tas.gov.au
Please note that Wellington Park will re-open but the Pinnacle Road will remain closed to vehicle traffic.